Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Crazy Christmas Crayons

We are in the midst of the craziness of the holidays.  We host my family (sisters, bro, etc) on Christmas Eve and I always get into a bit of a cleaning frenzy before they come over.  This year is no different.  However, since we are homeschooling this year, everyone is home to witness my craziness!

I had neglected to account for the running around and cleaning I did in the time that they were in traditional school and somehow thought that I would magically find the time to Do It All.  Not so.  I am frazzled. 

The other day I got a bit, um, cranky and started barking orders to clean this, pick up that, etc.  The girls helped and all was good except for this nagging feeling that I was out of line in my delivery.  I took a moment and remembered that "perfection" is never the goal.  There are other ways to ask for help if I am feeling overwhelmed (which was exactly why I was being so cranky).

Take a deep breath.

Phew.  That felt better. 

So, instead of washing windows...T and I decided to make dinosaur crayons.  Yes, nothing screams the Season like dinosaur crayons!  Hey, I had found a bunch of old crayons in my cleaning frenzy and had seen this great tutorial at one of my favorite blogs, Whimsy Love.  They were the only molds we had that I was willing to delegate to crayon making.  After spending a movie unwrapping crayons (a little meditative, I must say), we put those dinos in the oven.



The end result, a few broken necked dinos (my bad) and more than a few fun dino crayons.  We'd totally do this again.  The colors are fun to combine and the big chunky crayons are perfect for rubbings.

Why do I always need to be reminded to DO?  I have no problem keeping up on tasks and chores, but the fun stuff?  I'm not so great at remembering to put those fun things on my ToDo List.   I know, I know....how about I just resolve to try to have more fun! 

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love a discussion!