Wednesday, March 24, 2010

WFMW: The Jump to Chapter Books

I don't know about you, but I have an almost 8 year old that really hates to read chapter books.  I mean she'll start to read them, but will burn out before she finishes them.  I'm guessing it's a maturity thing.  It drives me crazy.  I couldn't imagine not finishing a book I have started.  Sorry, it's just that compulsive bit about me.

So my job is to pass my sickness on to my children...right?

This is what I've done...and it seems to be working....so far.

I gave her a book we purchased to read (The Little House in the Big Woods), a comfy pillow, some time, and a highlighter.  I asked her to read a chapter.  While she read it, I asked her to highlight the words she didn't immediately understand.  When she was done, she brought me the book and we discussed the words (venison, churn, etc), which inevitably led to talking about the chapter.

We're not quite done with the book, but I have high hopes that she will actually finish this one without too much complaint.  She enjoys the task of highlighting and I think it gives her a better focus when trudging through those pages of words.  I'll keep you posted!

To find out what works for others, pop over to We Are That Family  and check out Works For Me Wednesdays!

ps:  I heard a librarian, who knew how I would trudge through a book (whether I enjoyed or not!), suggest to me that I should give a book as many pages as I am old.  If I don't love it by then, put it down; there's plenty of other books to read AND enjoy.   I have yet to try it...but it sounds good, right?!

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed that your 8 year old is reading Little House in the Big Woods and understanding it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

I love a discussion!