I know. I couldn't help it.
We are working on finishing up our Space Unit. We wanted to finish it before the final Space Shuttle launch on November 1. Our local space museum is having a shindig for the launch and it seems as though that would be a perfect end to our unit. Thank goodness it was delayed because we were too!
T already learned about the moon and its phases and the planets, now it's on to galaxies and stars. We began by learning about galaxies.
Like a true innovator, I borrowed some ideas from the The Forest Room. To demonstrate the expansion of the universe, we blew up a balloon to measure the distance between the letters to compare it with the deflated measurement. (*Hint: blow up the balloon to write the letters first, then let the air out to measure the deflated distance.)
T used white paint and glitter to describe the different types of galaxies (thank you, The Forest Room, again!). Can you tell me why I thought glitter was a good idea....and why I thought the kitchen table would be a good place to craft? We are still bedazzled.
The Forest Room,
Here are some of our resources for our stars and galaxies unit. Our total journey beyond (moon, planets, stars & galaxies) has taken us over two months of pretty consistent work. If you want to see more, here is our moon unit and our planet unit.
- My go-to resource, Jimmie's Collage, for her Space Lapbook info (love her!)
- R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - Earth and Space, Level 1
- The Lab of Mr. Q - Life Science, free downloads (super fun!) - check out his free lab notes!
- Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia (always a fav!)
- NASA/JPL Cal-Tech has a great kids' page and is another great resource for images
- Images from the Hubble Space Telescope (unbelievable!!)
Next we are on to study electricity, color, and sound. It seems as though our conversations about stars and their energies and lifespans have naturally led us in this direction. We are fortunate to have the flexibility to follow our interests. What a blessing homeschooling is for us! I'm learning so much!!