Wednesday, December 8, 2010

WFMW: Call in the Reinforcements

There is quite a story that goes along with T's addition to our family.  The short version is that she demanded to be born.  Her next closest sibling is 10 years older than she is.

I had the awesome joy of having two teenage daughters and a toddler at the same time.  It was...an interesting time.

We have three daughters and each one is very, very unique (I wish there was an "understatement" font)!  I can barely keep up.  I am sometimes overwhelmed with my inexperience at homeschooling, with parenting...with life.

In those moments when I'm certain I can't cope with 3rd grade homeschooling, one of those unique big sisters scoops up my mess and takes over.  They teach her things that I never would have thought about. They have embraced this home learning thing to its fullest.

T is learning German courtesy of her oldest sister (yes, that's our All About Spelling board that we love).  She can now count and ask a few basic phrases.
She has learned the art of art.  My oldest sees the world differently and tries her best to get others to understand her vision with any medium available.  On T's Christmas list this year is a piece of art to admire (T's words, not mine).
She has learned to appreciate a good story from her other sister.  When math gets too complicated (read:  I've over complicated it), T goes to her for a better explanation.
T has also been taught cartwheels and handstands from the nutty middle sister.  I love it.
It's so nice to have olders that remember what worked and what didn't for them as they were learning the same things that T is at this age.

It is nicer that they have enough pity on me to take over when it's obvious I am in need of reinforcements.

I highly recommend having older kids around to help with your younger ones.  Or at least some friends to take over some homeschooling when you have reached your limit.  In my experience, taking breaks is highly productive (or at least that's what I tell myself!).

See what works for others at We Are That Family and Works For Me Wednesdays!  Don't forget to check out The Mercy House and Shop Mercy this season of giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love a discussion!